Why to create UTM?
- In a digital space the data directs through various origins and choose different paths to enter into the system, either it can be online, offline or it can be Facebook Ads, Google Ads etc. It is important to map these sources under the appropriate channels. For example, if a lead has entered into the system through Google then it will be mapped under Organic; similarly, if this lead has entered associated with some medium such as Google Ads then the medium will be mapped as Google Ads.
- So, this tracking is efficient in capturing the source and medium through which we can define these under appropriate bucket. These tracking mechanisms has been defined by Google under the label called UTM (Urchin Tracking Module).
- This UTM has parameters like source, medium & campaign. Campaigns are the way of marketing through which the lead has been targeted and reached successfully. Example of such campaigns can be Email marketing campaigns labeled as Admissions 2020, etc.
- Source, medium & campaigns are dependent on each other. To track the campaign, it is important to know from which medium is the campaign running and through which source is the medium defined.
So, How to create UTM parameters?
- Go to https://ga-dev-tools.appspot.com/campaign-url-builder/ to create your own UTM
- Here enter following details
- Website URL - Enter Landing Page URL
- - Enter the required source , Medium and Campaign parameters here
- Campaign URL has some fields to be filled correctly so that your website campaigns can be traced easily and efficiently.
- Above are the example fields which will help to make you understand in an easier manner.
you will get your final URL there, you can use it to track all your campaigns